Thursday, September 24, 2009

Good Genetics

Yesterday morning we had a work day from 9-noon to get ready for the Advent Barbecue this weekend, and the Laurel staff spent that time weeding and raking a nasty patch of yard by the volleyball court. I worked pretty hard, with blisters to show for it, and several people made a point to comment about how hard I was working. I tried to not make too big a deal of it, all the while thinking about my Grampa, and how my 3 hours of working in the sun yesterday PALES in comparison to how he has worked his butt of every day of his life for more than seventy years.

Then today I called my grandparents to get someone's address, and he answered. It was 12:30 in Vermont so he was taking a break for lunch, a salad made of ingredients that he picked in the garden on his way in from working. We were on the phone for 11 minutes, close to a record for my Grampa. He told me about the progress he'd been making cleaning up different things around the farm, and other projects he was starting on.

I asked when they were heading south for the winter, and he replied "Well I just found out I've got a dentist appointment November the 4th, so I supp
ose no sooner than that. Mommy's itching to leave, but I'm in no hurry. Too much to do around here."

I can only hope that I will work half as hard during any given period of my life. Let alone 70 years. Or in retirement.

I love this man. I am so proud to belong to this family. So proud.

3 comments:

  1. I think it's interesting to think about how much harder our grandparents generation actually "worked." Way to go though representing our generation well haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to do a similar reflection on my mother (your grandmother) to reflect her patience and love and just plain perserverance in staying married to a man like Grampa who never, ever takes time off... unless he is forced to. She is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and your grampa are so cute, and you are definitely a hard worker! Remember your races? That's hard work. LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete